Tuesday 13 May 2014

Project Brief.

1.    Describe briefly what you consider are your strengths and weaknesses from your experience of semester A level 3.
Screenprinting and drawing are my strengths. I need to work hard on my organisational skills and time management in order to achieve the most I can.

2. Describe the ideas you have for your personal project.
What is the content of the project; does it have any particular theme or issue? I want to look at creating hybrid creatures, looking back at how this has been done before. From mythological creatures, through to taxidermy. I then want to attempt to turn my own approach to this kind of idea. Starting I think with studies of animals maybe some from taxidermies where animals are already merged together. Then moving on to look at different ways to merge the animals together to create something new. This could be different print mediums, photo collage or by drawing merged animals. I would like to look into doing some paste ups with my work it could be an interesting idea to attempt to create creatures that fit into different environments within my life, and then paste the creatures in there environments and then there is even room for further developments after I have taken photographs. I also think to go along with this as a finished outcome for illustration book detailing the creatures and there possible habitats, perhaps something like an explorers journal kind of thing, or a bestiary. I plan to look at different book binding techniques, and although I plan to use the same creatures I create within print for my illustration book, however I plan to look into how I can create interesting backgrounds for my creatures as well as creating my own font.

What medium and materials will you use to realise your project?
Drawings, photoshop, screen print, photography, wheat pasting, perhaps other methods of printing as well.
How will you research your project? (Books, internet, galleries, museum, materials and media) I need to identify artists who have looked at these kinds of ideas before. Find out the best way to wheat paste. What inks I can use with it for example. Find locations where I can paste. I also can look at street artists who have looked into this kind of idea for example ROA who paints huge black and white animals. Trips to the zoo or farm to look at real animals, museums that have taxidermy animals for example, the horniman museum.

3. What skills do you need to acquire this semester that informs your project? (Technical, research, analytical, time-management, organisational)


I need to work on my organisational skills and time management.
I also need to learn how to do wheatpasting.

4.Propose a timetable for your project
Weeks 1-4 create studies of animals, use simple methods to alter images, eg photoshop, collage, etc. Find sources via internet, zoo, museum, anything.

5-8 develop ideas relating to creature design ready to be used within creation of final pieces. Look for areas to paste final creatures, photograph. Might do some sketches of environments mock ups ect. Could be used for creature book. Decide on colours etc. Amount of different/each creature.

9-10 Print finalised creatures. Start working on book pages, look for inspiration for book via real explorers journals if possible or biology journals. Also look at these kind of books in literature and media. Find information such as name, habitats, etc
11-13 Paste up creatures. Photograph, edit photography, look into potential development ideas after photographs for example printing methods like screen printing etching ect. Finalise book with drawings of creatures within their natural habitats



No comments:

Post a Comment